On completion of this course you will understand the principles underpinning assessment in numeracy in the Primary school classroom through an examination of the continuum of Assessment methods of numeracy. You will understand how to differentiate between Assessment for Learning and Assessment of Learning in the context of numeracy instruction. You will be able to critically examine the benefits and challenges associated with assessment in numeracy. You will have explored innovative assessment procedures which can be used to appraise numeracy skills across the Mathematics strands. You will have gained an understanding of how to introduce manageable and efficient assessment approaches to numeracy. You will have the confidence and competence to use an array of assessment procedures in numeracy both in the classroom and in a school setting.
- Understand the principles underpinning Assessment in the Primary school classroom
- Examine the continuum for assessment methods
- Differentiate between Assessment for Learning and Assessment of Learning
- Reflect on Questioning as an assessment method that can be used to incite learning
- Explore the use of Self- Assessment and Conferencing as methods of assessment in numeracy
- Become familiar with the use of a rubric as a resource to facilitate Self-Assessment and Conferencing
- Investigate the use of Portfolio Assessment as a method of assessment in the numeracy
- Understand how an e-portfolio can be used to facilitate teacher- led and pupil-led assessment
- Become familiar with suitable platforms that can be used to establish e-portfolios
- Revise the process and requirements of School Self- Evaluation
- Relate the purpose of this course to the statements of effective and highly effective practice in the Looking at Our School document
- Explore the use of Teacher- Designed Tasks and Tests as methods of assessment in numeracy
- Consider the potential of Concept- mapping as a method of numeracy assessment
- Understand that all of the assessment strategies encountered in this course can be used for any of the numeracy strands
You will be required to contribute at least two meaningful and relevant forum posts for each module of the course. Furthermore, at the end of each module there is a short assignment to complete before you progress to the next module. To successfully complete the course, you are required to complete a reflective learning assignment that demonstrates your achievement of the course’s stated learning outcomes.
As part of the successful completion of all summer courses, participants compile a learning record that demonstrates your attainment of the course aims and learning outcomes. The learning record may contain tasks, work samples, assignments, photographs, reflections and other artefacts that demonstrate your learning during the course.
Your Learning Record should be in electronic format and at a minimum must contain the six completed assignments and all posts to the forums. Learning records must also contain a CPD certificate.
- PC or Tablet
- Speakers or Headphones
Phone: 076 602 5026
Post: Flúirse Education Solutions, Monavalley Business Park, Tralee, Co. Kerry
Course Duration: 20 hours
Course Fee: €69
Start Date: 1st July 2019
If you have not already enrolled on this course please click the following link Enroll on this course