FSC2126 Effective Numeracy Assessment in the Primary Classroom
The purpose of this course is to equip primary school teachers with the knowledge, skills and resources necessary to effectively assess numeracy in the classroom. Through engagement with this course, you will be exposed to assessment practices that span the Irish Primary Continuum of Assessment Methods. From the outset of the course, you will explore both Assessment for Learning (AfL) and Assessment of Learning (AoL) strategies, examining simple and effective assessment procedures that can be used to inform teaching and benefit learning.
The modules will present a variety of assessment methods that can be employed in the numeracy classroom including questioning, portfolio assessment, self-assessment, conferencing, teacher-designed tasks and tests and concept-mapping. The role of digital technology in enabling assessment practices will also be evaluated. The exploration of practical methodologies and resources will enable you to consider assessment procedures in numeracy as a whole-school endeavor and as part of School Self-Evaluation.
Parts of this course will involve collaboration and discussion with fellow participants as well as engaging in practical activities.
- Target Audience: Teachers who want to enhance their assessment practices in numeracy and learn more about the variety of assessment methods than can be used in the primary classroom.
- Equipment Required: All our courses are accessible through PC, Laptop, iPad, Tablet and Mobile devices. Internet access required with broadband speeds recommended
- Prerequisites or Requirements: Suitable for all primary school teachers
- Duration: All Flúirse Online Teacher Summer Courses are available from July 1st – August 20th. Each course requires approximately 20 hours of training and engagement
- Course Fee: €69 (also available as part of a 2 course 4-EPV Day bundle for €89 or 3 Course 5-EPV Day bundle for €99)
- EPV Days: This course is worth 3 EPV days (also available as part of a 2 course 4-EPV Day bundle or 3 Course 5-EPV Day bundle)
- Support: Our team are available to support you throughout your training by phone, email, online chat, course forums and social media
- Our Guarantee: No risk guarantee, if your not happy with your course for any reason within 21 days of enrollment we will issue you a full refund
- Questions/ More Information: Call us now on 066 712 9828 or e-mail [email protected]
Module 1 – Assessment in the Primary School Classroom and Questioning
- What is Assessment?
- Assessment of Learning (AoL) and Assessment for Learning (AfL)
- Examination of Assessment Method 1: Questioning
- Exploration of effective questioning strategies
- Introduction to Dan Finkel’s Five Principles of Extraordinary Maths Teaching as a diagnostic assessment measure that aligns with inquiry-based learning
Module 2 – Self-Assessment and Conferencing
- Examination of Assessment Method 2: Self-Assessment
- In-depth exploration of self-assessment and the strategies that can be employed as part of this assessment method
- Learn about rubrics and checklists for Self-Assessment
- Examination of Assessment Method 3: Conferencing
- Identification of types of conferencing and details on planning for conferencing
Module 3 – Portfolio Assessment
- Examination of Assessment Method 4: Portfolio Assessment
- Exploring the role of digital technologies in teaching, learning and assessment
- What are digital portfolios?
- Examination of Seesaw as an online platform that can be used to create digital portfolios and facilitate portfolio assessment. Investigate the range of tools available on Seesaw such as photographs, videos and voice recordings. Explore how Seesaw can enable the sharing of work and feedback
Module 4 – Teacher Designed Tasks and Tests / School Self-Evaluation
- Become familiar with the key documents and requirements associated with School Self-Evaluation
- Examination of Looking at Our School 2016: A Quality Framework for Primary Schools (LAOS) and the School Self-Evaluation Guidelines 2016-2020
- Examination of Assessment Method 5: Teacher Designed Tasks and Tests
- Reflection on the role of success criteria in the provision of feedback
- Introduction of Socrative as an online digital tool to create teacher-designed tasks and tests
Module 5 – Including Teacher Wellbeing in School Self-Evaluation
- Examination of Assessment Method 6: Concept-Mapping
- Explore different types of concept-maps
- Reflect on the different ways to approach assessment using concept-maps in the classroom
- Introduction of MindMup as an online digital tool that can be used to create simple concept-maps
FURTHER QUESTIONS OR MORE INFORMATION?