FSC2135 Child Mental Health & Promotion Strategies in Primary School
Explore child development and common mental health issues, and learn strategies for the promotion of positive mental health of children in primary schools.
From the outset, you will learn about theories of child development, and advance your knowledge of a wide range of common mental health issues which may present in childhood. You will enhance your awareness of the Primary SPHE Curriculum, and how it can be used to foster positive mental wellbeing among pupils. You will be introduced to a variety of evidence-based whole-school strategies to best support pupils’ mental health, and you will also learn ways of positively impacting the mental health of individual pupils. You will be enabled to apply School Self-Evaluation to mental health promotion, and develop school improvement plans to support the mental health of your pupils.
- Target Audience: Teachers who wish to advance their knowledge of child development and mental health, and learn how to best support the mental health of their own pupils in primary schools.
- Equipment Required: All our courses are accessible through PC, Laptop, iPad, Tablet and Mobile devices. Internet access required with broadband speeds recommended. Do not need access to an IWB
- Prerequisites or Requirements: Suitable for all primary school teachers. Prior knowledge of child development, child mental health or mental health promotion strategies is not necessary.
- Duration: All Flúirse Online Teacher Summer Courses are available from July 1st – August 20th. Each course requires approximately 20 hours of training and engagement
- Course Fee: €69 (also available as part of a 2 course 4-EPV Day bundle for €89 or 3 Course 5-EPV Day bundle for €99)
- EPV Days: This course is worth 3 EPV days (also available as part of a 2 course 4-EPV Day bundle or 3 Course 5-EPV Day bundle)
- Support: Our team are available to support you throughout your training by phone, email, online chat, course forums and social media
- Our Guarantee: No risk guarantee, if your not happy with your course for any reason within 21 days of enrollment we will issue you a full refund
- Questions/ More Information: Call us now on 066 712 9828 or e-mail [email protected]
Module 1: The Primary School Curriculum and Child Development
- Identify the aims, principles and features of the Primary School Curriculum.
- Promote a vision of the development of the full potential of the children in their schools, as per the Primary School Curriculum.
- Describe a range of theories of child development in relation to mental health.
- Define risk factors and protective factors for mental health issues in childhood.
Module 2: The Primary SPHE Curriculum and Child Mental Health
- Outline how the teaching of SPHE as per the Primary School Curriculum can provide opportunities to foster the development of the mental wellbeing of children.
- Identify a wide range of common mental health issues that may present in childhood.
- Identify signs of mental health issues in children.
Module 3: Whole-School Approaches to Mental Health Promotion
- Implement a range of evidence-based interventions and strategies to foster and promote positive mental health at a whole-school level.
- Align the implementation of these whole-school initiatives with content and objectives from the Primary SPHE Curriculum in their planning documentation for SPHE.
- Provide an outline of DES policy in relation to wellbeing in primary schools, including the Wellbeing Policy Statement and Wellbeing in Education Framework for Practice and Guidelines for Mental Health Promotion: Well-being in Primary schools.
Module 4: Supporting the Mental Health of Individual Pupils
- Identify mental health concerns among individual pupils.
- Implement a range of strategies to benefit the mental health of individual pupils.
- Align the implementation of these strategies with content and objectives from the Primary SPHE Curriculum in their planning documentation for SPHE across class levels.
- Recognise the need for external supports for teachers and pupils in relation to mental health.
Module 5: School Self-Evaluation and Mental Health Promotion in Schools
- Describe the six-step School Self-Evaluation Process and implement the SSE process in their own schools.
- Use domains, standards and statements of highly effective practice in planning and monitoring the SSE process.
- Develop school improvement plans to support the mental health of children in primary schools, in accordance with the steps outlined in the Primary SSE Guidelines.
FURTHER QUESTIONS OR MORE INFORMATION?
- Please review our Frequently Asked Questions section here or contact our Summer Course support team directly at [email protected]