FSC2142 Teaching the Senior Classes: Third Class – Sixth Class
This course aims to assist teachers with Literacy and Numeracy teaching skills in the senior classes. Teachers will be able to identify areas of highly effective practice in relation to ICT currently in place in their schools and familarise themselves with digital learning strategies and tools that could be used in the Senior classes, to help develop children’s digital literacy skills and improve teaching and learning in the school. Teachers will also be able t0 familiarise themselves with strategies to support literacy development in the Senior Classes with reference to the New Primary Language Curriculum (DE, 2019) while also making reference to The National Strategy to Improve Literacy and Numeracy among Children and Young People (DE, 2011)
- Target Audience: Teachers wishing to gain new skills in digital technology for literacy and numeracy.
- Equipment Required: All our courses are accessible through PC, Laptop, iPad, Tablet and Mobile devices. Internet access required with broadband speeds recommended
- Prerequisites or Requirements: Suitable for all primary school teachers
- Duration: All Flúirse Online Teacher Summer Courses are available from July 1st – August 20th. Each course requires approximately 20 hours of training and engagement
- Course Fee: €69 (also available as part of a 2 course 4-EPV Day bundle for €89 or 3 Course 5-EPV Day bundle for €99)
- EPV Days: This course is worth 3 EPV days (also available as part of a 2 course 4-EPV Day bundle or 3 Course 5-EPV Day bundle)
- Support: Our team are available to support you throughout your training by phone, email, online chat, course forums and social media
- Our Guarantee: No risk guarantee, if your not happy with your course for any reason within 21 days of enrollment we will issue you a full refund
- Questions/ More Information: Call us now on 066 712 9828 or e-mail [email protected]
- Familiarise themselves with strategies to support literacy development in the Senior Classes with specific reference to documents including Primary Language Curriculum (DE, 2016),PDST (2014) , Five Components of Effective Oral Language Instruction, A Guide to the Teaching and Learning of Oral Language (PDST, ND), Reading Fluency (PDST, ND), Poetry Workshop (PDST, ND) , The Reading Process (PDST, ND), Guiding Comprehension Teaching for Meaning (PDST, ND), ⮚ Explicit Vocabulary Instruction (PDST, ND) etc.
- Explore a wide variety of strategies to support reading development in the Senior Classes for example comprehension strategies, motivation and enjoyment, fluency and vocabulary development.
- Explore strategies for the exploration of novels in the senior classes o Discuss the importance of using picture books in the senior classes and how this can be done effectively
- Examine ways of teaching the various writing genres as well as facilitating free writing experiences.
- Explore ways of using ICT to support writing development in the senior classes
- Effectively support pupils in developing spelling strategies
- Effectively support pupils in developing their knowledge of correct grammar o Become aware of teaching methods to support correct handwriting in the Senior Classes
- Effectively support the left-handed child in the classroom
- Explore the major concepts that need to be covered in each of the senior classes in the current 1999 maths curriculum.
- Examine strategies for teaching the number strand in the senior classes with a focus on place value, addition, subtraction, short multiplication, long multiplication, short division, long division, fractions, decimals and percentages
- Examine strategies for teaching the shape and space strand in the senior classes with a focus on 3D shapes, 2D shapes, lines and angles, the circle, using a protractor and rotations.
- Examine strategies for teaching the algebra strand in the senior classes with a focus on the hundred square, patterns and directed numbers o Examine strategies for teaching the measures strand in the senior classes with a focus on length, weight, money, time, area and capacity.
- Effectively plan for Gaeilge lessons in the senior classes
- Explore strategies for the effective teaching of teanga ó bhéal in the senior classes
- Understand and promote the use of CLIL (Content Language Integrated Learning) in their classrooms as well as in the wider school community as guided by the Primary Language Curriculum (DE, 2019)
- Explore strategies for the effective teaching of léitheoireacht in the senior classes with a focus on development phonics knowledge, vocabulary, comprehension strategies etc.
- Explore strategies for the effective teaching of scríbhneoireacht in the senior classes with a focus on writing genres, parts of language (verbs, nouns, adjectives etc.) grammar, spellings etc.
- Understand how to implement station teaching in Irish lessons in the senior classes including stations focused on interviews, language games, reading, writing etc.
- Explore a wide variety of teaching methods for SESE in the senior classes for example project work, trails, ICT etc.
- Examine the use of STEM in the senior classes, relevant resources to support the implementation of STEM, sample STEM projects etc.
- Detail what webquests entail and how they can be used to successfully support the teaching of SESE in the senior classes
- Teach a variety of different interesting and engaging science experiments in the senior classes
- Examine various programmes/initiatives that can be used to support the teaching of SESE in the senior classes.
FURTHER QUESTIONS OR MORE INFORMATION?